Brownie Bass Tulloss
Lillian and Harry Brady on Haymarket Bridge ca 1920
Cows at Shelter Farm ca 1955
Red House Tavern office building 2005

Beale House

Buildings Home
Beale House
Haymarket Museum
George Hulfish House
Old Post Office
Masonic Lodge
McCormick House
St. Paul's Church

In 1893 James Beale was 25 years old and employed as Haymarket's railroad station manager. He bought a 1.5-acre site from C. C. Jordan, which was located across the street from the train depot.

Two years later Beale married Maude Herrell. During the next twenty years, Beale eventually opened his own store next to the train depot. He was also a member of the town's Masonic lodge and served as a vestryman of St. Paul's Episcopal Church.

In 1916, while Beale was serving as mayor of the town, he died unexpectedly at the age of 48 and Maude sold the property in 1921. James, Maude, and four of their children are buried in St. Paul's cemetery.

Beale House 2009
Depot site 2009

This is how the area appears today across the street from the Beale House where the train depot and Beale's store used to be.

 

Images in top banner, left to right: Brownie Bass Tulloss ca 1900; Haymarket Horse Show ca 1960; Lillian and Harry Brady on Haymarket Bridge ca 1920; "Red House Tavern" office building 2005; Haymarket Women's Club meeting ca 1950s; Cows on Shelter Farm ca 1950

©2012 Haymarket Museum