Brownie Bass Tulloss
Lillian and Harry Brady on Haymarket Bridge ca 1920
Cows at Shelter Farm ca 1955
Red House Tavern office building 2005

George Hulfish House

Buildings Home
Beale House
Haymarket Museum
George Hulfish House
Old Post Office
Masonic Lodge
McCormick House
St. Paul's Church

This house is one of the most important structures in Haymarket. It was built in 1874 by George Andrew Hulfish, a very successful merchant after the Civil War and the first acting mayor of Haymarket when the town was incorporated in 1882.

When the village was burned in 1862, George was 15 years old and working as a blacksmith in his father's carriage shop. His father, Garrett Hulfish, was born in New Jersey and had moved to Haymarket in the mid-1840's. It was Garrett's house and carriage shop that were the first buildings set on fire by the Union troops. At the court martial trial of the soldier accused of wrongfully burning the town, Mr. Hulfish testified that: "My house was set on fire in my soldiers who said they had orders to burn the house."


George Hulfish & son Thomas Andrew

Hulfish House Circa 1908

Side porch under reconstruction in 2012

George Hulfish & Sons Circa 1903

This is a photo of the side porch of the Hulfish House

Images in top banner, left to right: Brownie Bass Tulloss ca 1900; Haymarket Horse Show ca 1960; Lillian and Harry Brady on Haymarket Bridge ca 1920; "Red House Tavern" office building 2005; Haymarket Women's Club meeting ca 1950s; Cows on Shelter Farm ca 1950

©2012 Haymarket Museum


After the war Garrett Hulfish settled in Fauquier County but George stayed in Haymarket. He married  Sarah Margaret Smith, daughter of Thomas A. Smith, owner of what had been William Skinker's tavern. George and his father-in-law were listed in the 1870 census as retail merchants. Around this time, George purchased the town lot that had been owned by Sarah Mount since 1830. The Mount home had been destroyed in the November 1862 fire. George also built his merchantile shop at the corner of Washington and Jefferson Streets (which eventually came to be known as Gossom's Grocery) as well as the building that became the Haymarket Pharmacy. 

George Hulfish and Thomas Smith both served as trustees of the town hall and school that was built in 1882 and Smith donated the land on which it was built. 

George Hulfish stayed in the town until 1903, when he sold all of his property and moved to Montana. He died in 1938 and is buried at the St. Paul's Church cemetery.

The Hulfish House is now owned by the Town of Haymarket and was restored in 2012-2013.