After the war Garrett Hulfish settled in Fauquier County but George stayed in Haymarket. He married Sarah Margaret Smith, daughter of Thomas A. Smith, owner of what had been William Skinker's tavern. George and his father-in-law were listed in the 1870 census as retail merchants. Around this time, George purchased the town lot that had been owned by Sarah Mount since 1830. The Mount home had been destroyed in the November 1862 fire. George also built his merchantile shop at the corner of Washington and Jefferson Streets (which eventually came to be known as Gossom's Grocery) as well as the building that became the Haymarket Pharmacy.
George Hulfish and Thomas Smith both served as trustees of the town hall and school that was built in 1882 and Smith donated the land on which it was built.
George Hulfish stayed in the town until 1903, when he sold all of his property and moved to Montana. He died in 1938 and is buried at the St. Paul's Church cemetery.
The Hulfish House is now owned by the Town of Haymarket and was restored in 2012-2013.