According to Sarah Turner's book, Haymarket: A Town in Transition, Albert B. Rust was a "strong civic leader" who invested in real estate and built and owned the Haymarket Bank. It must of been during Rust's ownership that the property was first used as a drugstore, because when it was sold again in 1932, it was referred to as the "Drugstore Property."
In 1938, J.W. Rhoades and Edward Beverly bought the property and continued using the building as a drugstore. The Beverly family sold the property in 1945 to Cary Smith who was married to Brownie Bass Tulloss, longtime Haymarket town clerk. Mr. Smith converted the store to a post office and served as the town's Postmaster from 1933 to 1959. The building continued to be used as the Haymarket Post Office until the 1980s.