Brownie Bass Tulloss
Lillian and Harry Brady on Haymarket Bridge ca 1920
Cows at Shelter Farm ca 1955
Red House Tavern office building 2005

Haymarket Destroyed by Union Troops

History Home
18th Century
Antebellum Period
Civil War
Reconstruction
20th Century
Buildings, Houses, Farms

 

On November 4 and 5, 1862, after Federal troops were fired upon by snipers while riding through Haymarket, Union troops searched, then set fire to, the house from where the shots were believed to have come. Shortly thereafter, the entire town was set ablaze. This action against civilian noncombatants resulted in a Federal Army court martial and conviction of the Union officer held to be responsible, Lieut. Kurd Baron von Veltheim of the 68th New York Volunteer Infantry. Only St. Paul's Episcopal Church and three small houses near it escaped destruction in the fire and, as a consequence, the town remained virtually unpopulated for the remainder of the war.

"When the fires burned low enough we drew nearer to the hot foundation stones to warm our feet."

A quote from the memoirs of Charles Edward Jordan published in 1932. At the age of 11 he and his family were left destiture after their home was destroyed during the fire.

"On our march from Gainesville to Antioch...we passed through what was once the village of Haymarket. The only indication of a village apparent to our marching column were the chimneys of a dozen or more houses. The houses had gone up in a flame....These brick columns, looking like spectre sentinels, stood in grim watch over the ashes at their [feet]."

From the journal of Pvt. William H. Warren, Co. C of the 17th CT.

Above: Haymarket, Va. - '63 , sketch by Alfred Waud depicting the ruins of the town of Haymarket after it was burned by Union troops. Born in England, Alfred Waud immigrated to the United States in 1850. During the Civil War he acted much like a photo journalist would today, by following the Union's Army of the Potomac and providing illustrations of war events to Harper's Weekly and other publications. Waud drew this sketch of Haymarket on 21 June, 1863 as the Union army was passing through Haymarket on its way to meet Lee's army at Gettysburg, PA. The original sketch is at the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.

Images in top banner, left to right: Brownie Bass Tulloss ca 1900; Haymarket Horse Show ca 1960; Lillian and Harry Brady on Haymarket Bridge ca 1920; "Red House Tavern" office building 2005; Haymarket Women's Club meeting ca 1950s; Cows on Shelter Farm ca 1950

©2012 Haymarket Museum